Men need to change their mentality: Krishna Tirath
New Delhi: Expressing shock over the brutal rape of the five-year-old girl, Union Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath on Saturday emphasised on the need for men to "change their mentality".
"It is a shocking incident and the way this five-year-old girl was raped shows the sick mentality of men. There is a need to change this mentality," Tirath said.
Of the reported callousness of policemen to the kin of the victim, the minister said efforts are on to sensitise Delhi Police.
"I have spoken to the commissioner of Delhi Police and even the home minister has given strict instructions to him to ensure that complaints of people are addressed swiftly. There is a need to spread awareness among people and police," she said.
The girl was abducted April 15 and kept hostage for two days without food and water in a room in which the attacker lived, on the ground floor of the building in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar, in which the victim`s family also stayed, police said.
The accused, ManojKumar, 25, was arrested from a village in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district early Saturday, police said.
The girl, who was repeatedly raped, was rescued when members of her family heard her screams Wednesday, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'