Men need to change their mentality: Krishna Tirath
New Delhi: Expressing shock over the brutal rape of the five-year-old girl, Union Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath on Saturday emphasised on the need for men to "change their mentality".
"It is a shocking incident and the way this five-year-old girl was raped shows the sick mentality of men. There is a need to change this mentality," Tirath said.
Of the reported callousness of policemen to the kin of the victim, the minister said efforts are on to sensitise Delhi Police.
"I have spoken to the commissioner of Delhi Police and even the home minister has given strict instructions to him to ensure that complaints of people are addressed swiftly. There is a need to spread awareness among people and police," she said.
The girl was abducted April 15 and kept hostage for two days without food and water in a room in which the attacker lived, on the ground floor of the building in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar, in which the victim`s family also stayed, police said.
The accused, ManojKumar, 25, was arrested from a village in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district early Saturday, police said.
The girl, who was repeatedly raped, was rescued when members of her family heard her screams Wednesday, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information