Menon, Jones meet in Munich; discuss regional stability, Iran
Washington: Issues like regional stability and
Iran figured in talks National Security Adviser Shivshankar
Menon had with his US counterpart James Jones on the margins
of a security meet in Munich, with the two sides pledging to
work together to advance the strategic ties and tackle common
Their meeting yesterday was the first between them after
Menon, former foreign secretary, was appointed as National
Security Adviser by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last month.
Gen (Retd) Jones also met Menon`s predecessor and now the
West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan, who too is attending the
Munich Security Conference.
"They reaffirmed the strength of their strategic
partnership and reviewed its progress, particularly over the
last year," a senior US administration official told a news agency.
"They also discussed our shared interests on regional
stability and Iran."
"General Jones and Menon pledged to work cooperatively
together, just as Jones had with Menon`s predecessor
Narayanan, in order to advance our strategic partnership and
tackle together the common challenges we face," the official
The meeting assumes significance in view of the recent
development in the region, including the move by India to
offer Foreign Secretary-level talks with Pakistan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged