Menon, Narayanan to attend Munich Conference
New Delhi/Kolkata: Two representatives from India will for the first time be taking part in the Munich Security Conference which starts from Friday.
National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon and his predecessor and now Governor of West Bengal MK Narayanan will attend the security meeting, informed sources said.
Raj Bhawan sources in Kolkata confirmed that Narayanan will be away till February 8.
Naryanan has been a regular participant in the Munich Security Conference before heading off to the Raj Bhawan in Kolkata last month. This is the 46th annual conference and it is a rarity that a former NSA is invited to the event, diplomatic sources said. Narayanan’s personal rapport with German NSA Christoph
Huesgen has earned him the invitation even after his departure from South Block.
Interestingly, China is taking part in the conference for the first time. India has been using the Munich podium to apprise the world about its security concerns viz–a-viz Pakistan and to highlight its role in Afghanistan. This year, however, Iran and US arms sale to Taiwan are likely to dominate the discourse.
Nuclear arms safety, NPT, disarmament, the future of Afghanistan, maritime security, especially off the Somali coast, stability in the Persian Gulf and the Middle East are also expected to be discussed.
The German contingent will be led by Chancellor Angela Merkel. Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai is also expected to take part.Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jeichi will deliver the keynote address.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’