Mercury inches above normal in north India
New Delhi: The chill had diminished in intensity in north India on Tuesday with most areas reporting above normal temperatures though hilly areas were still grappling with cold weather conditions.
It was a foggy morning in Delhi where the minimum inched up to remain within normal at 11.2 degrees Celsius.
The maximum in the national capital, however, settled three notches below normal at 22 degrees.
Punjab and Haryana, too, witnessed minimum temperatures hovering around normal across the region.
Amritsar in Punjab was the coldest place in the region at 7.4 degrees with the MeT office saying the temperature was normal for this time of the season.
The mercury was reported above normal in Patiala and Ludhiana which recorded lows of 11 degrees and 11.2 degrees respectively.
The weather forecast for the two neighbouring states is for another spell of moderate rainfall on February 22 and 23 accompanied by strong winds.
Conditions had improved in Kashmir with most parts of the Valley reporting a marginal rise in minimum temperatures.
On the other hand, high altitude areas in Himachal Pradesh reeled under cold wave conditions even as middle and lower hills reported a slight rise in mercury.
It was a cloudy and windy day in the state and a pale sun failed to bring any warmth with day temperatures registering a drop at a few places.
Una, which had yesterday reported a maximum of 22.2 degrees, today recorded a high of 17.8 degrees.
Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district saw the mercury setlling at -11.6 degrees while Manali recorded a low of -1.8 degrees.
The forecast is for dry weather in the middle and lower hills in the coming two days to be followed by rain and snow across the state from February 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145