Mercury rises in North India
New Delhi: Mercury rose above the normal
levels in most parts of North India on Sunday, including Delhi,
even as the southwest monsoon set in over Kerala, bringing
heavy rains across the state.
In the national capital, the maximum temperature
recorded was 40.9 deg C, a degree above normal and over two
notches above yesterday`s high of 38.6 deg C. The minimum
settled at 28.8 degrees, two above the normal level, the MeT
Temperatures soared by a few notches at most places in
Punjab and Haryana though Chandigarh received rainfall in the
evening. Amritsar was the hottest place in the two states
recording a high of 43.6 deg C, up by four degrees.
Patiala and Ludhiana, too, braved a sultry day with
respective maximums of 41.7 deg C and 41.6 deg C. Hot
conditions also prevailed in Hisar, where the maximum settled
at 42.4 deg C, up one notch, the MeT Department said.
Ambala recorded a high of 40.2 deg C while the maximum
at Karnal settled at 39.6 deg C, up by a degree. Chandigarh
recorded a high of 39.4 degrees Celsius during the day.
In Rajasthan, Sriganganagar was recorded as the
hottest place with a maximum of 44.4 deg C followed by Churu
at 44.1 degrees, both a few notches above normal, according to
the local Met office.
Barmer, Jaisalmer, Bikaner and Kota recorded maximums
of 43.8, 43.7, 43.5 and 42.4 deg C respectively while Jaipur,
Ajmer and Dabok recorded a maximum of 41.9, 41.7 and 41.4 deg
Meanwhile, southwest monsoon arrived in Kerala today
with more than 60 per cent of the rain monitoring stations in
the state registering rainfall in the last 24 hours, the India
Meteorological Department said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan