Mercy petitions: UPA playing appeasement politics, says BJP
New Delhi: Charging the UPA Government of playing politics of appeasement amid decisions on the various mercy petitions pending since years, the Bharatiya Janata Party on Thursday sought clarification behind these hurriedly taken steps.
Referring to the rejection of mercy pleas of the four associates of slain forest brigand Veerappan by President Pranab Mukherjee yesterday, five days after the execution of 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, BJP spokesperson Nirmla Sitharaman said the government will have to answer about the clearances that are happening over the week.
“At one time, we hear lectures about waiting list, another time we are hearing lectures about the clearances that are happening over the week. We are clearly saying that the UPA plays its politics of appeasement. The drama of UPA continues with political appeasement, vote bank politics and these developments are as a result of it. Therefore for the UPA will have to answer it,” said Sitharaman, while addressing a press conference here.
“Don’t give lectures to the entire country saying there is a waiting list and we will do it as per the waiting list. Don’t say that you will not respond to the opposition parties. The question of execution is a due process of law and the delay in it are all something the UPA has to answer,” she added.
Mukherjee has cleared the road to the gallows for four Veerappan’s associates by rejecting their mercy petitions.
The four were sentenced to death for killing 22 people, including policemen, in a landmine blast in 1993.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?