Mere existence of mental disorder not ground for divorce: SC
New Delhi: A spouse suffering from mental disorder cannot be the sole ground for dissolution of marriage and divorce can be granted only if the illness is of such nature that it is difficult to live together, the Supreme Court has said.
Explaining the provisions of Hindu Marriages Act (HMA), the court said that the law does not make a mere existence of a mental disorder of any degree sufficient to grant divorce.
A bench of justices G S Singhvi and V Gopala Gowda turned down the plea of a man seeking divorce on the ground that his wife is suffering from schizophrenia, saying medical report does not substantiate the claim.
"This court cautioned that Section 13 (1) (iii) of HMA does not make a mere existence of a mental disorder of any degree sufficient in law to justify the dissolution of marriage," the bench said referring to its earlier verdict.
It upheld the Andhra Pradesh High Court`s decision which had set aside the trail court order to grant divorce to the doctor couple.
"We are of the opinion that the high court has rightly examined the entire evidence on record and correctly found fault with the findings of fact recorded by the trial court with regard to the ailment attributed to the respondent for seeking dissolution of marriage under the ground of unsound mind which is a non-existent fact," the bench said.
"In our considered view, the contents of the report as stated by the team of doctors do not support the case of the appellant (husband) that the respondent (wife) is suffering from a serious case of schizophrenia, in order to grant the decree of divorce," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!