Mere pressurising is no abetment of suicide: Court
Mumbai: Simply putting pressure on a
person does not amount to abetment of suicide, High Court has
held acquitting a widowed woman and her relatives in a
criminal case regarding her husband`s suicide.
Mandakini Landge (20), her mother Hirabai Markad, and
her brother-in-law Bhausaheb Bhapse, all residents of Pathardi
taluka in Ahmednagar district, were facing trial for abetting
the suicide of Mandakini`s husband, Kiran Landage.
Kiran and Mandakini married in April 2008, and one
year later, on May 29, 2009, Kiran committed suicide by
consuming poison outside her father`s house in Madhi. Earlier,
he had said that he would commit suicide on the threshold of
As per the prosecution`s case, after Mandakini`s
father passed away sometime in 2008, she, alongwith her mother
and brother-in-law, started putting pressure on Kiran to shift
to her parent`s village, as there was nobody to tend to her
However, Kiran was not willing to move from his house
in Pimpalgaon Landaga.
Soon thereafter, Mandakini became pregnant, and was
sent to her parents` house. Later, Kiran`s parents met with an
accident, so he requested Mandakini to return, but she
This situation apparently became unbearable for Kiran,
and according to prosecution, he told his parents that he
would go and die on the threshold of Mandakini`s house.
On May 29, he actually consumed poison, and reached
her house, where he was found dead.
Police booked Mandakini, her mother, and
brother-in-law for abetment of suicide upon the complaint
filed by Kiran`s family; against which the latter moved High
Justice A V Nirgude of Bombay High Court held that
even if the prosecution`s story was to be accepted fully, it
did not indicate that Mandakini and her family had `mens rea`
(intention) to cause Kiran`s death.
"...the petitioners by putting pressure on Kiran did
not commit any (criminal) act with mens rea," the High Court
held, quashing the criminal case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow