Meta university by next year: Sibal
New Delhi: Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal Friday said a network of universities forming a meta university to allow students to pick courses from across disciplines from different institutions will be ready by next academic session.
"I am hopeful that by next academic year, we will be able to start the meta university," Sibal said, addressing a conference on uniting knowledge communities organised by US-India Business Council.
The meta university will, for example, let an engineering student pick up a degree in literature.
"Meta universities will create a platform in cyber space and ultimately the student will get a degree not from one but many universities," Sibal said addressing a conference on uniting knowledge communities organised by US-India Business Council.
The minister said that despite all apprehensions, meta universities are the future.
He said making education global in nature would be in favour of all, and expressed hope that the bill to allow foreign universities in India will also get final clearance soon.
"When we talk about foreign collaboration, people think fee will be hiked, they ask why can`t Indians teach Indians, why do we need foreign teachers, what will happen to the IIT system of education," Sibal said.
"Ultimately, it is the Indian students who will benefit," he said, adding that the apprehensions should be set aside.
The minister said the proposed optic fibre network which will connect all villages will be complete in two to two and a half years, and all homes will be connected through broadband.
He said the national knowledge network connecting universities and colleges across India will be complete in another six months.
Announced in the budget speech of 2008-09, the pan India network will connect colleges enabling them to share material and resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez