Metro coaches lifted, placed on elevated track
New Delhi: For the first time in its
history, DMRC lowered four Metro coaches on to the tracks at
Lajpat Nagar station where they will be assembled before the
trial runs on the Central Secretariat-Badarpur line begin in
the first week of July.
The coaches, which were brought through trailers from
the Mundka Standard Guage depot, were lowered on the inclined
ramp between Jangpura and Lajpat Nagar by using a 270 tonne
crane, which was equipped with a special adjustable boom which
helped in quick stabilisation of the coaches on the track.
The coaches, each weighing 42 tonnes, were lowered one
after another during the operation which started at around 11.00
pm last night and ended at 4.10 am today, DMRC spokesman Anuj
The 20.16-km Central Secretariat-Badarpur corridor will
be thrown open to the public in September, a month ahead of
the Commonwealth Games.
DMRC had to lower the trains at the Lajpat Nagar station
as there is no other way that the coaches can be brought to
Trial runs on the Central Secretariat-Badarpur Standard
Guage line will start in phases from July first week and will
go on till the line is thrown open to the public in September,
a month before the Commonwealth Games.
DMRC officials said the lowering of trains were a
peculiar move since they do not have any other entry point.
The coaches will now be assembled on tracks at the Lajpat
Nagar station and the trial runs will begin after July 5 from
Central Secretariat-Lajpat Nagar section once the signalling
and other works are completed on the 9-km section.
"The operation was a great engineering achievement as
the coaches were stabled on a gradient (inclined) of about 4
per cent. Generally, the rail coaches are stabled on a
straight surface," Dayal said.
Two battery operated shunters were used to prevent the
coaches from sliding down backwards on the incline. These
shunters then pushed the coaches to the Lajpat Nagar Metro
station where the coupling will be done, he said.
The entire exercise will help the DMRC save at least a
month`s time to meet its Commonwealth Games deadline.
This was the first-ever operation in India where Standard
Gauge Metro rail coaches were lifted by cranes and stabled on
the inclined tracks, he said.
"Meticulous planning of over six months was done to
implement the operation smoothly. All Cargo, a specialised
agency was roped in to carry out the operation. About 400
people including DMRC engineers worked round the clock to
implement the operation successfully," Dayal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly