MFN-status to India: Pak speaks of `some reservations`
Islamabad: Certain stakeholders in Pakistan have "some reservations" about giving Most Favoured Nation-status to India and the issue will be discussed at an upcoming meeting between the two sides, Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani said today.
Without giving details, Jilani told reporters during an informal interaction outside parliament that certain stakeholders have "some reservations` on giving MFN-status to India.
"However, the government is committed to implement its decision to establish normal trade relations with India," Jilani said.
The reservations expressed by some stakeholders will be discussed at an upcoming meeting between officials of the Commerce Ministries of the two sides, he said.
Jilani did not specify the dates of the meeting. He acknowledged that it was very important to improve relations and trade between the two countries.
The cabinet has already decided to give MFN-status to India, he remarked.
Referring to the unrest along the Line of Control, Jilani said Pakistan had proposed an independent inquiry into the recent violations of the ceasefire and was awaiting India`s response.
These violations of the ceasefire were unfortunate and the DGMOs of the two countries had already discussed the matter, he added.
In response to a question, Jilani said the Kashmir issue has not been sidelined.
Two important issues before the UN Security Council, currently chaired by Pakistan, are terrorism and peace-building, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray