MFN status to India unlikely before Oct
Islamabad: Pakistan Friday said it was
unlikely that the process of granting India Most Favoured Nation-status to boost bilateral trade would be completed before October.
The Pakistan government is working on the process of
moving from a positive list to a negative list for trade with
India and the Commerce Ministry is consulting all stakeholders
regarding the move, Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit told
a weekly news briefing.
"As far as MFN is concerned, you all know that a decision
has been taken in principle to move from the positive to a
negative list in our trade with India," Basit said in response
to a question.
"The work is in progress and the Ministry of Commerce is
engaged in consultations with all stakeholders. A final
decision in this regard will be taken by the Cabinet and I do
not see that happening before October 2012," he said.
India and Pakistan agreed last year on a number of steps
aimed at increasing bilateral trade from two billion dollars
to six billion dollars in three years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case