MFN status uncertainty: India to await outcome in Pak polls
New Delhi: As uncertainty over the timeframe in granting of Most Favoured Nation (MFN) to it by Pakistan continues, India today said it has to wait for the May 11 general elections` outcome there even as the Pakistani government had assured it that the process was "on track".
"That is what we have been told by the current government during official discussions. They have assured us that the process is on track regarding the decision which they have taken that India would be granted MFN status. We have to wait for the elections` outcome," a top government official said.
Asked what was the status now, given that Pakistan was poll-bound, he said, "That is what the government said. They said they were moving forward towards that decision but now that the elections have been announced, we have to wait for the election outcome".
Pakistan has been postponing implementation of its decision to grant MFN treatment to India and several deadlines have been crossed without its enforcement due to domestic political compulsions.
Elections in Pakistan are scheduled to be held on May 11.
The neighbouring country had missed the deadline of December 31, 2012 for granting the status to India.
Since then, several Pakistani federal ministers have said that the move to grant MFN status had been delayed so that the government could hold consultations with industries that have expressed their reservations about the move.
The two countries have taken several steps to normalise trade relations since they resumed their peace process in 2011 after a gap of over two years in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre