MGNREGA: Govt asks states to strengthen social audits
New Delhi: Acknowledging that there have been instances of corruption in MGNREGA implementation, the government on Thursday said states have been asked to strengthen social audits of the scheme.
There are certain complaints regarding implementation of the Mahatman Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA).
Responding to a query about corruption in the scheme`s implementation, Minister of State for Rural Development Upendra Kushwaha said almost all members know about it and added that steps are being taken for improving the scheme.
The government is aware about it (corruption issues) but the government has limitations since actions are to be taken by the states.
During Question Hour in the Lok Sabha, he said as on June 30 this year, "out of 3,641 complaints received by the Ministry, 1,769 complaints have been disposed of by the states/union territories".
On steps for improvement, Kushwaha said "the state and district level Vigilance and Monitoring Committees monitor the scheme. These are now being reconstituted".
He also said that states and union territories have been asked to strengthen social audits of works under MGNREGA scheme.
With regard to delay in payment of wages under MGNREGA scheme, the Minister cited various reasons including "lack of adequate administrative and technical staff, inadequate spread of banks/post offices and lack of connectivity for the delay.
The Ministry has categorised the complaints pertaining to MGNREGA into three sections. They are grievances on procedural violation of guidelines, complaints on violating the Act`s provisions and those related to financial irregularities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3