MGNREGA not a hit in far off areas
New Delhi: In spite of achieving success in the bigger states, the UPA government`s flagship MGNREGA
scheme appears to have failed in fulfilling its objective in
small and remote places like Dadar and Nagar Haveli, Daman and
Diu and Lakshadweep.
According to Rural Development Ministry data, no
household or person was provided employment under the scheme
in Daman and Diu in 2010-11, while it was only 2290 in Dadar
and Nagar Haveli in the last financial year.
The programme which was introduced in 2006-07 was
extended across the country in 2009.
According to the provisional report of Census 2011
released last week, Daman and Diu has a population of 2,42,911
and that of Dadar & Nagar Haveli is 3,42,853.
Though the total number of households provided job under
the programme were in four and five digits in Goa, Andaman and
Nicobar and Lakshadweep, their performance under the scheme
In Goa, known to many as "Pearl of the Orient", a total
number of 13,897 households were provided job under the scheme
in 2010-11, the ministry data said. Goa`s population is
In Andaman and Nicobar, referred to as "weather window to
the Indian Peninsula", a total of 17,636 households were
provided job under the scheme in the last financial year. Its
population is 3,79,944.
In Lakshadweep, 4507 households were given employment
during the period while it was 38,118 in Pondicherry during
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Poll defeat triggers infighting in Congress? Now, Satyavrat Chaturvedi attacks Digvijaya Singh
- READ: Virender Sehwag's important message to parents, students after CBSE class 12 results
- Hangul, the rare Kashmir deer, may soon go extinct
- Twitter war: Verbal duel between Smriti Irani and Congress' Priyanka Chaturvedi - Know what happened
- WATCH: DD vs RCB highlights - Virat Kohli steals show with match-winning knock