MGNREGA not a hit in far off areas
New Delhi: In spite of achieving success in the bigger states, the UPA government`s flagship MGNREGA
scheme appears to have failed in fulfilling its objective in
small and remote places like Dadar and Nagar Haveli, Daman and
Diu and Lakshadweep.
According to Rural Development Ministry data, no
household or person was provided employment under the scheme
in Daman and Diu in 2010-11, while it was only 2290 in Dadar
and Nagar Haveli in the last financial year.
The programme which was introduced in 2006-07 was
extended across the country in 2009.
According to the provisional report of Census 2011
released last week, Daman and Diu has a population of 2,42,911
and that of Dadar & Nagar Haveli is 3,42,853.
Though the total number of households provided job under
the programme were in four and five digits in Goa, Andaman and
Nicobar and Lakshadweep, their performance under the scheme
In Goa, known to many as "Pearl of the Orient", a total
number of 13,897 households were provided job under the scheme
in 2010-11, the ministry data said. Goa`s population is
In Andaman and Nicobar, referred to as "weather window to
the Indian Peninsula", a total of 17,636 households were
provided job under the scheme in the last financial year. Its
population is 3,79,944.
In Lakshadweep, 4507 households were given employment
during the period while it was 38,118 in Pondicherry during
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Factbox: Five questions for Britain and Europe after Brexit vote
- China remains unmoved, says NSG will not discuss India's bid
- University of Mumbai to declare TYBCom Results 2016 today; check mu.ac.in
- Anil Kumble's appointment: This is what 'disappointed' Ravi Shastri, Sandeep Patil said...
- Telangana to join Centre's Uday scheme today