MGNREGA wage payment to be videographed: Ramesh
Ranchi: In a bid to check corruption in
payment of MGNREGA wages, the government plans to introduce
videography during the process, Union Rural Development
Minister Jairam Ramesh said here on Saturday.
"Videography will be used in the presence of officials
while giving wages to the MGNREGA beneficiaries from now to
ensure proper and timely payment," Ramesh said.
Recalling how corruption in the social audit of MGNREGA
had claimed Niyamat Ansari, who exposed corruption by
middlemen in Latehar in March this year, the minister said
cash payment was introduced to make payment faster.
"In several remote areas there are neither post offices
nor banks. Therefore, cash payment has been introduced in such
places," Ramesh said when asked about the change in procedure
Cash was used to be the mode of payment in initial years
after NREGA came in force. Later, it was decided bank/post
office passbooks would be given to beneficiaries to prevent
middlemen scooping up commission from the labourers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners
- Political novice Gudni Johannesson elected Iceland president amid football fever