MGNREGA wage payment to be videographed: Ramesh
Ranchi: In a bid to check corruption in
payment of MGNREGA wages, the government plans to introduce
videography during the process, Union Rural Development
Minister Jairam Ramesh said here on Saturday.
"Videography will be used in the presence of officials
while giving wages to the MGNREGA beneficiaries from now to
ensure proper and timely payment," Ramesh said.
Recalling how corruption in the social audit of MGNREGA
had claimed Niyamat Ansari, who exposed corruption by
middlemen in Latehar in March this year, the minister said
cash payment was introduced to make payment faster.
"In several remote areas there are neither post offices
nor banks. Therefore, cash payment has been introduced in such
places," Ramesh said when asked about the change in procedure
Cash was used to be the mode of payment in initial years
after NREGA came in force. Later, it was decided bank/post
office passbooks would be given to beneficiaries to prevent
middlemen scooping up commission from the labourers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...