MHA removes names of 142 Sikh NRIs from Black List
New Delhi: The Centre has deleted names of
142 Sikh NRIs from the black list after a detailed review
while the exercise is still continuing in 27 cases, Home
Minister P Chidambaram said on Wednesday.
The Home Ministry has conducted a detailed review of
names of 169 Sikh NRIs included in the black list but could
not get "full information" about activities of 27 individuals
during last 15-20 years.
Leaving these names, the Home Ministry decided to remove
the rest of names from the Black list.
When asked about the basis of review, Chidambaram
said, "because we don`t have full information. Severity of
allegations against one person is one aspect but we need to
know what he has been doing in the last 15-20 years. We do not
have full information on these 27 people that is why I added
these 27 people will be reviewed. As we get fuller information
we will take decision."
A statement from the Home Ministry said names of 169
Sikh NRIs, which were included in the Black List, were
reviewed by the Ministry.
"After a detailed review, names of 142 Sikh NRIs were
removed from the Black List and necessary instructions were
issued to the Indian Missions and Posts," it said.
The Non-resident Indian Sikhs whose names were mentioned
in the black list are alleged to have been routinely denied
travel permission to the country on grounds that they had
taken part in anti-national activities during insurgency
period in Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!