MHA to hire MI-17 for operations in Naxal areas
New Delhi: Having decided to use choppers for
non-combat operations in Naxal-affected areas, the Home
Ministry has invited expressions of interest from MI-17
operators for "wet lease" of their helicopters for an initial
period of one year, extendable up to three years.
"The helicopters would be used in the Left wing extremism
affected areas of the country i.e. states of Andhra Pradesh,
Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh
and West Bengal, for the purpose of evacuating casualties,
search and rescue operations, movement of troops and
surveillance," the ministry said.
The decision to use helicopters in non-combat operations
in Naxal-affected areas was taken by government nearly a year
ago and currently choppers from BSF and Air Force are being
used for such operations.
The EoI shall be followed by a tender process for
selection of the chartered company for wet lease, which
provides for a chopper, complete crew, maintenance, and
insurance. However, response to this EoI, last date for which
is October 20, 2010, does not entitle the responder to receive
any documents or to be invited to bid for the services
subsequently, it said.
Making clear that the responders may be subject to
national security clearance, Joint Secretary in MHA for Naxal
management Kashmir Singh said eligibility to participate in
the bidding process may depend on grant of such clearance.
Under the scope of services, the ministry has said the
helicopters should be either MI-17 series or of equivalent
capability and the number of helicopters required is 13 with
the option of hiring at least six.
It also said the choppers should be capable of day and
night flying and should have a minimum airlift capability of
18-20 fully equipped and armed security personnel and fly to
air destination at least for 400 kms away (or 200 kms one way
and return) without refuelling.
The scope of services also talked about helicopters to
have slithering facilities and preferably being armour-plated
for the safety of crew, passengers and vital components of
It said the operating crew would be provided by the
charter company and must comply with DGCA prescribed
qualifications. The operational control will be exercised by
the MHA, it said.
The eligibility criteria required the company to be in
the business of providing chartered services for the past
three years and said the annual turnover of the company should
be at least Rs 100 crore in the past four years solely from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview