MHA too issued Shinde statement with names of Bhandara victims
New Delhi: As Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde was trapped in an embarrassing gaffe by disclosing the names of Bhandara rape victims in Rajya Sabha, his Ministry committed a similar faux pas by circulating his statement containing the three names to the media.
Almost an hour after the Upper House expunged the names of the victims of the Bhandara rape incident from its proceedings, the Home Ministry circulated the text of Shinde`s statement to media houses through a press release, apparently unaware of the Rajya Sabha development.
Subsequently, the Home Minister`s entire statement was uploaded on the official website of Government of India`s Press Information Bureau. However, the press release was withdrawn after an hour and it was removed from the PIB website too.
Later in the evening, the ministry issued a revised press release with Shinde`s statement in the Rajya Sabha but it compounded the embarassment by incorporating the name of the grandfather of the three victims.
Earlier, Shinde, in a written statement read out by him named the three sisters who were allegedly raped and murdered recently in Bhandara in Maharashtra.
The names had to be expunged at the intervention of the Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley who said as per law the victims of rape, that too minors, are not identified and named and their identity should be kept a secret as per Supreme Court guidelines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble