MHA too issued Shinde statement with names of Bhandara victims
New Delhi: As Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde was trapped in an embarrassing gaffe by disclosing the names of Bhandara rape victims in Rajya Sabha, his Ministry committed a similar faux pas by circulating his statement containing the three names to the media.
Almost an hour after the Upper House expunged the names of the victims of the Bhandara rape incident from its proceedings, the Home Ministry circulated the text of Shinde`s statement to media houses through a press release, apparently unaware of the Rajya Sabha development.
Subsequently, the Home Minister`s entire statement was uploaded on the official website of Government of India`s Press Information Bureau. However, the press release was withdrawn after an hour and it was removed from the PIB website too.
Later in the evening, the ministry issued a revised press release with Shinde`s statement in the Rajya Sabha but it compounded the embarassment by incorporating the name of the grandfather of the three victims.
Earlier, Shinde, in a written statement read out by him named the three sisters who were allegedly raped and murdered recently in Bhandara in Maharashtra.
The names had to be expunged at the intervention of the Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley who said as per law the victims of rape, that too minors, are not identified and named and their identity should be kept a secret as per Supreme Court guidelines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list