MHA writes to Delhi Lokayukta on PWD Minister
New Delhi: Union Home Ministry Monday sent its response to the Delhi Lokayukta, giving reasons behind the decision to reject the anti-corruption body`s recommendation to sack Delhi PWD Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan.
The letter from the Home Ministry came just four days after the Lokayukta sent a reminder to it asking for reasons behind the rejection of the recommendation.
In its response, Home Ministry cited Delhi Government`s stand on the issue that recommendation to sack the minister was totally based on "pure assumption" and "conjecture".
"The communication from the Home Ministry stated that the decision to reject the recommendation of the Lokayukta was based on report of the Delhi Government," top government sources told reporters.
Delhi Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin had in February recommended to President Pratibha Patil to "withdraw her pleasure" for the Minister to continue in office after finding him "guilty" of involvement in protecting a leading resort in the city in a tax evasion case.
The President had last month rejected the recommendation of the Lokayukta.
The Delhi Government, in its report to the Home Ministry, said Lokayukta`s order was not supported by facts and that nobody can be punished on basis of "whims and fancies" of somebody.
As President Pratibha Patil`s decision was based on Home Ministry`s opinion, the Lokayukta first sent a letter to the Ministry a couple of days after its recommendation was rejected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days