MHA writes to Delhi Lokayukta on PWD Minister
New Delhi: Union Home Ministry Monday sent its response to the Delhi Lokayukta, giving reasons behind the decision to reject the anti-corruption body`s recommendation to sack Delhi PWD Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan.
The letter from the Home Ministry came just four days after the Lokayukta sent a reminder to it asking for reasons behind the rejection of the recommendation.
In its response, Home Ministry cited Delhi Government`s stand on the issue that recommendation to sack the minister was totally based on "pure assumption" and "conjecture".
"The communication from the Home Ministry stated that the decision to reject the recommendation of the Lokayukta was based on report of the Delhi Government," top government sources told reporters.
Delhi Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin had in February recommended to President Pratibha Patil to "withdraw her pleasure" for the Minister to continue in office after finding him "guilty" of involvement in protecting a leading resort in the city in a tax evasion case.
The President had last month rejected the recommendation of the Lokayukta.
The Delhi Government, in its report to the Home Ministry, said Lokayukta`s order was not supported by facts and that nobody can be punished on basis of "whims and fancies" of somebody.
As President Pratibha Patil`s decision was based on Home Ministry`s opinion, the Lokayukta first sent a letter to the Ministry a couple of days after its recommendation was rejected.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview