MHA`s disaster response comes under PAC`s criticism
New Delhi: The functioning of various organisations set up to tackle disasters on Monday came under sharp criticism of a Parliamentary committee which slammed the Union Home Ministry for failing to take quick decisions on several crucial issues, affecting the performance of the response agencies.
Based on the April, 2013 report of the CAG on disaster management, the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) today grilled top officials of the Home Ministry, including new Home Secretary Anil Goswami, on the issue of preparedness in handling disasters - both man-made and natural.
The meeting of the PAC comes in the backdrop of devastation caused by rains and flash floods in Uttarakhand.
Several members were critical of the fact that despite coming into being in 2006, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) so far has no `business rules` to conduct its internal affairs.
The MHA had asked the NDMA to frame its business rules, but so far the framework has not been set up.
The MHA was also questioned on the delay in implementing the recommendations of a task force set up in December, 2011 to "examine and review the ambiguity, constrains and bottlenecks" in the Disaster Management Act, 2005.
The Home Secretary assured the panel that he will take a call on the recommendations in the next three weeks. The recommendations were made in March. Several members questioned the failure of the National Executive Committee, which assists the National Disaster Management Authority, to meet regularly.
The NEC - headed by the Union Home Secretary - has met only twice in recent years - in May, 2008 and December, 2012. Goswami said the 5th meeting of the NEC will be held shortly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla