Mid-day meal tragedy: NHRC, Centre seek report from Bihar govt
New Delhi: The Centre has sought a report from the Bihar government on the mid-day meal tragedy in the state that left 22 children dead as it feared food contamination to be the cause of the deaths.
"It is a very sad incident and we are deeply pained over the loss of lives of young children," HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju told reporters here as he termed the incident an "aberration".
"It is an aberration that this has happened although it is an unfortunate incident, it`s not a recurring thing," he said, adding an FIR has been lodged against the school principal.
He said the incident looked like a case of food contamination and asked states to exercise caution while implementing the scheme.
Raju, whose ministry is the nodal agency for implementing the programme, said investigations are on into the incident and whether the guidelines were followed would be known only after the completion of the probe.
Officials said, the ministry has sought a report from the Bihar government even as School Education Secretary Rajarshi Bhattacharya spoke the Bihar Chief Secretary this morning.
Additional Secretary in the ministry Amarjit Singh, who was sent to collect first hand report about the incident, is expected to return today and brief the ministry.
The food was prepared at the school and the students were served dal, rice, sabzi and soyabean, Raju said.
"We have focused on the quality of the mid-day meal programme right from the beginning. Even when the gas prices had gone up, we had ensured that the quality of the mid-day meal did not suffer," he said.
As per norms, he said the food prepared has to be tested by two to three adults including at least one teacher before it is served to the children.
Reheating of food is not allowed while authorities also require to ensure that ingredients used for cooking should be free from adulteration and pest infestation and should be used only after proper cleaning and washing, he said.
Raju also said it is the responsibility of the district administration and village heads to ensure proper implementation of the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared