MiG 29K pilots should wait till 2012 for arrested landing training
INS Hansa (Goa): After the induction of MiG
29K maritime fighters on Friday, its pilots will have to wait
till 2012 for the Shore-based Test Facility (SBTF) to be ready
for their training for `arrested landing` on Russian aircraft
carriers Admiral Gorshkov.
"Our pilots would be able to train on SBTF, which
replicates flying conditions of real aircraft carrier, for
carrying out arrested landing only after it is ready in 2012.
"For carrier operations, they will have to go to Russia
around four months before the Admiral Gorshkov is ready for
induction into the Indian Navy in 2012," INS Hansa Commanding
officer Captain Surendra Ahuja said here.
The Navy is inducting four MiG 29Ks tomorrow in a
ceremony here attended by Defence Minister A K Antony.
The Admiral Gorshkov is a Short Take Off But Arrested
landing (STOBAR) aircraft carrier, which means that aircraft
take-off from a ski-jet like deck and their landings are
arrested by wires when they come back to the carrier and the
SBTF replicates the same facilities on shore.
Captain Ahuja said two strips were constructed for the
SBTF of which one will be for short-take offs and the other
will be for arrested landings.
"The strip for ski-jet take off will be ready soon as the
Goa Shipyard Limited will complete it but the arrested landing
facility is getting delayed probably because we need to get
engines which can arrest both the MiG 29K and the naval Light
Combat Aircraft," Ahuja said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days