MiG 29K pilots should wait till 2012 for arrested landing training
INS Hansa (Goa): After the induction of MiG
29K maritime fighters on Friday, its pilots will have to wait
till 2012 for the Shore-based Test Facility (SBTF) to be ready
for their training for `arrested landing` on Russian aircraft
carriers Admiral Gorshkov.
"Our pilots would be able to train on SBTF, which
replicates flying conditions of real aircraft carrier, for
carrying out arrested landing only after it is ready in 2012.
"For carrier operations, they will have to go to Russia
around four months before the Admiral Gorshkov is ready for
induction into the Indian Navy in 2012," INS Hansa Commanding
officer Captain Surendra Ahuja said here.
The Navy is inducting four MiG 29Ks tomorrow in a
ceremony here attended by Defence Minister A K Antony.
The Admiral Gorshkov is a Short Take Off But Arrested
landing (STOBAR) aircraft carrier, which means that aircraft
take-off from a ski-jet like deck and their landings are
arrested by wires when they come back to the carrier and the
SBTF replicates the same facilities on shore.
Captain Ahuja said two strips were constructed for the
SBTF of which one will be for short-take offs and the other
will be for arrested landings.
"The strip for ski-jet take off will be ready soon as the
Goa Shipyard Limited will complete it but the arrested landing
facility is getting delayed probably because we need to get
engines which can arrest both the MiG 29K and the naval Light
Combat Aircraft," Ahuja said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers