MiG 29K pilots should wait till 2012 for arrested landing training
INS Hansa (Goa): After the induction of MiG
29K maritime fighters on Friday, its pilots will have to wait
till 2012 for the Shore-based Test Facility (SBTF) to be ready
for their training for `arrested landing` on Russian aircraft
carriers Admiral Gorshkov.
"Our pilots would be able to train on SBTF, which
replicates flying conditions of real aircraft carrier, for
carrying out arrested landing only after it is ready in 2012.
"For carrier operations, they will have to go to Russia
around four months before the Admiral Gorshkov is ready for
induction into the Indian Navy in 2012," INS Hansa Commanding
officer Captain Surendra Ahuja said here.
The Navy is inducting four MiG 29Ks tomorrow in a
ceremony here attended by Defence Minister A K Antony.
The Admiral Gorshkov is a Short Take Off But Arrested
landing (STOBAR) aircraft carrier, which means that aircraft
take-off from a ski-jet like deck and their landings are
arrested by wires when they come back to the carrier and the
SBTF replicates the same facilities on shore.
Captain Ahuja said two strips were constructed for the
SBTF of which one will be for short-take offs and the other
will be for arrested landings.
"The strip for ski-jet take off will be ready soon as the
Goa Shipyard Limited will complete it but the arrested landing
facility is getting delayed probably because we need to get
engines which can arrest both the MiG 29K and the naval Light
Combat Aircraft," Ahuja said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened