MiG crash not due to inexperience of pilots: Raju
New Delhi: Air crashes do not take place due
to inexperience of pilots, Minister of State for Defence M M
Pallam Raju said here, noting that most of planes lost were
MiGs which were ageing rapidly and have maintenance issues.
"It is not inexperience of pilots," he told reporters
here on being asked to comment on Air Chief N A K Browne`s
recent statement that inexperience of pilots was the main
reason behind the increasing number of crashes in the IAF.
"I think sometimes he (Browne) wants more experienced
pilots to fly them (MiG series fighter planes) due to their
experience in handling older aircraft," he said.
"If you look at the kind of aircraft we are losing, its
primarily the MiGs. Most of our squadrons of MiGs are ageing
rapidly and maintenance is becoming an issue," Raju said.
During the last three years, 30 fighter aircraft and 10
helicopters of IAF have crashed of which 16 are MiG-21s.
Browne had recently said MiG crashes had taken place
because of the inexperience of pilots.
"Unfortunately except for one case, other cases point
towards inexperience of young pilots who were not been able to
handle the landing and approach (of the aircraft)," he had
26 defence personnel including 13 pilots have lost their
lives in 40 crash incidents. In addition, six civilians have
also lost their lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'