MiG crash not due to inexperience of pilots: Raju
New Delhi: Air crashes do not take place due
to inexperience of pilots, Minister of State for Defence M M
Pallam Raju said here, noting that most of planes lost were
MiGs which were ageing rapidly and have maintenance issues.
"It is not inexperience of pilots," he told reporters
here on being asked to comment on Air Chief N A K Browne`s
recent statement that inexperience of pilots was the main
reason behind the increasing number of crashes in the IAF.
"I think sometimes he (Browne) wants more experienced
pilots to fly them (MiG series fighter planes) due to their
experience in handling older aircraft," he said.
"If you look at the kind of aircraft we are losing, its
primarily the MiGs. Most of our squadrons of MiGs are ageing
rapidly and maintenance is becoming an issue," Raju said.
During the last three years, 30 fighter aircraft and 10
helicopters of IAF have crashed of which 16 are MiG-21s.
Browne had recently said MiG crashes had taken place
because of the inexperience of pilots.
"Unfortunately except for one case, other cases point
towards inexperience of young pilots who were not been able to
handle the landing and approach (of the aircraft)," he had
26 defence personnel including 13 pilots have lost their
lives in 40 crash incidents. In addition, six civilians have
also lost their lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands