MiG crash not due to inexperience of pilots: Raju
New Delhi: Air crashes do not take place due
to inexperience of pilots, Minister of State for Defence M M
Pallam Raju said here, noting that most of planes lost were
MiGs which were ageing rapidly and have maintenance issues.
"It is not inexperience of pilots," he told reporters
here on being asked to comment on Air Chief N A K Browne`s
recent statement that inexperience of pilots was the main
reason behind the increasing number of crashes in the IAF.
"I think sometimes he (Browne) wants more experienced
pilots to fly them (MiG series fighter planes) due to their
experience in handling older aircraft," he said.
"If you look at the kind of aircraft we are losing, its
primarily the MiGs. Most of our squadrons of MiGs are ageing
rapidly and maintenance is becoming an issue," Raju said.
During the last three years, 30 fighter aircraft and 10
helicopters of IAF have crashed of which 16 are MiG-21s.
Browne had recently said MiG crashes had taken place
because of the inexperience of pilots.
"Unfortunately except for one case, other cases point
towards inexperience of young pilots who were not been able to
handle the landing and approach (of the aircraft)," he had
26 defence personnel including 13 pilots have lost their
lives in 40 crash incidents. In addition, six civilians have
also lost their lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'