MIG crashes: Parl panel voices concern
New Delhi: Members of a parliamentary panel cutting across party lines on Tuesday expressed serious concern over crashes involving MiG aircraft and the cost overruns in the refit of aircraft carrier naval ship Admiral Gorshkov during a meeting with a Russian parliamentary delegation.
The delegation of the Federation Council Committee on Defence and Security assured the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence to provide details of crashes involving MiG aircraft across the world in the last 15 years.
"They will send the details in the next 15 days for us to analyse the crash rate of MiG fighters across the globe," a member said.
The Russian delegation was led by RG Iskuzhin and had MPs and advisors and consultants to the committee as its members.
Over 20 countries, including India and China, operate MiG fighters.
Some members, including Manish Tewari (Cong) and TK Rangarajan (CPI-M), are learnt to have raised concerns over cost overruns in refitting Admiral Gorshkov which will be the second aircraft carrier of the Indian Navy. It will be rechristened as INS Vikramaditya.
India operates various variants of MiG 21, MiG 27 and MiG 29. The Navy has recently inducted MiG 29 K series of fighters to operate from its aircraft carriers INS Viraat and INS Vikramaditya is likely to be inducted by the end of this year.
According to a recent statement of Defence Minister AK Antony, of the 1,303 MiG series fighter aircraft, including 872 MiG 21 purchased by the government, a total of 482 planes have crashed till now, killing 171 pilots and 39 civilians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state