Mild tremors felt in south Gujarat; quake jolts parts of North India
Zee Media Bureau
Bharuch/New Delhi: A mild earthquake shook several parts of south Gujarat and some parts of North India on late Saturday night.
“Tremors shook many other parts of south Gujarat this afternoon,” a Met official said.
"A tremor measuring 3.6 on Richter scale was felt at 9.40 pm today in Bharuch and the neighbouring districts," said an official from the Disaster Management Authority.
The tremor was centred some 36 km from the eastern part of Bharuch district, he said, adding the earthquake was also felt in the neighbouring districts, including Valsad and Surat.
However, there was no report of damage caused by the quake.
On the other hand, a moderate earthquake measuring 5.6 on the Richter scale tonight jolted Delhi, National Capital Region, Chennai and parts of eastern and northern India as well but there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage to properties.
The quake struck 60 kms east of Paradip at a depth of 10 kms at 9.52 PM, said LS Rathore, Director General, India Meterological Department.
"The epicentre of the earthquake was in the Bay of Bengal with its coordinates being 18.1 degree north and 87.8 degree east, measuring 5.6 on the Richter scale," said Ministry of Earth Science Secretary Shailesh Nayak.
A Chennai report said tremors were felt in parts of Nungambakkam, Porur and Triplicane where people rushed out of their homes.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state