Mild tremors felt in south Gujarat; quake jolts parts of North India
Zee Media Bureau
Bharuch/New Delhi: A mild earthquake shook several parts of south Gujarat and some parts of North India on late Saturday night.
“Tremors shook many other parts of south Gujarat this afternoon,” a Met official said.
"A tremor measuring 3.6 on Richter scale was felt at 9.40 pm today in Bharuch and the neighbouring districts," said an official from the Disaster Management Authority.
The tremor was centred some 36 km from the eastern part of Bharuch district, he said, adding the earthquake was also felt in the neighbouring districts, including Valsad and Surat.
However, there was no report of damage caused by the quake.
On the other hand, a moderate earthquake measuring 5.6 on the Richter scale tonight jolted Delhi, National Capital Region, Chennai and parts of eastern and northern India as well but there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage to properties.
The quake struck 60 kms east of Paradip at a depth of 10 kms at 9.52 PM, said LS Rathore, Director General, India Meterological Department.
"The epicentre of the earthquake was in the Bay of Bengal with its coordinates being 18.1 degree north and 87.8 degree east, measuring 5.6 on the Richter scale," said Ministry of Earth Science Secretary Shailesh Nayak.
A Chennai report said tremors were felt in parts of Nungambakkam, Porur and Triplicane where people rushed out of their homes.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mega event today to mark 2 years of BJP govt; Amitabh to host small segment on girl child campaign
- Preity Zinta all set to make her first TV show appearance post wedding! – See pic
- Do you know where is Katrina Kaif's paradise? Watch video
- READ: What Suresh Raina said after Gujarat Lions' dream IPL run ended in Qualifier 2
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic.in 10th Results 2016 CBSE Board: CBSE Class 10th X Exam Result 2016 to be announced today on May 28 at 2 PM