Milind Deora takes charge in telecom ministry
New Delhi: Milind Deora, who took charge as
Minister of State for IT and Communication today, said he
looked forward to doing "something new...with fresh ideas" in
coordination with his young colleague Sachin Pilot in the
A two-time Congress MP from South Mumbai, the 34-year
old Deora said there is scope for improvement in the ministry,
while emphasising on maximising telecom penetration in the
country. He said he would identify the areas which require
"The way things have been done traditionally...where we
can improve and where we can bring in some fresh ideas. I am
here too...to bring in some knowledge...," he said.
Deora, who is son of Congress veteran and former
Corporate Affairs Minister Mural Deora joins his friend Pilot,
under senior Minister Kapil Sibal.
"I am happy to have a friend and colleague Sachin Pilot.
So I am looking forward to doing something new. Perhaps we are
looking at some of the issue related to the ministry..." Deora
Deora who expressed his "sincere gratitude" to UPA
Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, also praised Sibal whom he met
before taking charge.
"I think he is a very fine minister to work under," the
junior minister, a graduate from Mumbai and Boston University,
An accomplished guitarist, Deora refused to comment on
his predecessor Gurudas Kamat, who resigned apparently upset
over the new portfolio offered to him.
"I really don`t want to speak on it. It is a very positive
day for me," Deora said.
Asked about his priorities, he said it would be to
increase telephony services in rural areas at affordable
"The service offered will have to be affordable, but has
to give revenue to the government as well," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog