Milind Deora takes charge in telecom ministry
New Delhi: Milind Deora, who took charge as
Minister of State for IT and Communication today, said he
looked forward to doing "something new...with fresh ideas" in
coordination with his young colleague Sachin Pilot in the
A two-time Congress MP from South Mumbai, the 34-year
old Deora said there is scope for improvement in the ministry,
while emphasising on maximising telecom penetration in the
country. He said he would identify the areas which require
"The way things have been done traditionally...where we
can improve and where we can bring in some fresh ideas. I am
here too...to bring in some knowledge...," he said.
Deora, who is son of Congress veteran and former
Corporate Affairs Minister Mural Deora joins his friend Pilot,
under senior Minister Kapil Sibal.
"I am happy to have a friend and colleague Sachin Pilot.
So I am looking forward to doing something new. Perhaps we are
looking at some of the issue related to the ministry..." Deora
Deora who expressed his "sincere gratitude" to UPA
Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, also praised Sibal whom he met
before taking charge.
"I think he is a very fine minister to work under," the
junior minister, a graduate from Mumbai and Boston University,
An accomplished guitarist, Deora refused to comment on
his predecessor Gurudas Kamat, who resigned apparently upset
over the new portfolio offered to him.
"I really don`t want to speak on it. It is a very positive
day for me," Deora said.
Asked about his priorities, he said it would be to
increase telephony services in rural areas at affordable
"The service offered will have to be affordable, but has
to give revenue to the government as well," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’