Militancy on decline in northeast: Home Ministry
Shillong: Militancy-related incidents has
seen a decline in the northeast this year, the Home Ministry
said on Thursday.
The number of terror incidents have come down to 1,297 in
2009 from 1,561 in 2008, according to a Ministry of Home
The number of security forces killed in 2009 is 42 as
against 46 in 2008, it said.
As many as 264 civilians were killed in 2009 as against
466 in 2008, while the number of extremists killed also saw a
drop from 640 to 571 during the same period.
About 2,162 extremists were arrested in the region in
2009. From January 2009 to January 31 this year, the total
number of terror-related incidents were 85.
Two security personnel, 12 civilians and 31 extremists
were killed during this period, the statement said.
As many as 149 extremists were arrested during the first
month of this year, it said.
There are over 20 active militant groups in the region. A
majority of them are in Manipur and Assam.
Significantly, over the last one-and-a-half year, members
of two prominent Assam-based militant outfits -- Dima Halam
Daogah (Jewel) and Karbi Longri National Liberation Front
(KLNLF) -- have surrendered en masse.
Almost the entire top leadership of ULFA, except for its
elusive `military chief` Paresh Barua have been netted by the
security forces, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark