Militancy on decline in northeast: Home Ministry
Shillong: Militancy-related incidents has
seen a decline in the northeast this year, the Home Ministry
said on Thursday.
The number of terror incidents have come down to 1,297 in
2009 from 1,561 in 2008, according to a Ministry of Home
The number of security forces killed in 2009 is 42 as
against 46 in 2008, it said.
As many as 264 civilians were killed in 2009 as against
466 in 2008, while the number of extremists killed also saw a
drop from 640 to 571 during the same period.
About 2,162 extremists were arrested in the region in
2009. From January 2009 to January 31 this year, the total
number of terror-related incidents were 85.
Two security personnel, 12 civilians and 31 extremists
were killed during this period, the statement said.
As many as 149 extremists were arrested during the first
month of this year, it said.
There are over 20 active militant groups in the region. A
majority of them are in Manipur and Assam.
Significantly, over the last one-and-a-half year, members
of two prominent Assam-based militant outfits -- Dima Halam
Daogah (Jewel) and Karbi Longri National Liberation Front
(KLNLF) -- have surrendered en masse.
Almost the entire top leadership of ULFA, except for its
elusive `military chief` Paresh Barua have been netted by the
security forces, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing