Millions in Bihar pray to setting sun on Chhath
Patna: Millions of people across Bihar, mostly women, marked the festival of Chhath Saturday by fasting, singing traditional songs and praying to the setting sun.
Devotees, attired in new clothes, sang folk songs as they prayed to the sun god and set lit earthen lamps afloat on rivers, lakes and other water bodies.
Roads and river banks had been cleaned and decorated for the occasion.
The four-day-long Chhath began Thursday when devotees took a dip in the rivers, a tradition known as `nahai khai`. It was followed by the ritual of `kharna` Friday when sweet dishes were prepared.
Married women fast for 36 hours during the course of the festival. Devotees traditionally offer wheat, milk, sugar cane, bananas and coconuts to the sun.
In Patna and other towns in the state, all roads leading to the river banks were decorated and cleaned for the devotees to perform `arghya` or oblations to the sun.
The festival also saw a rare show of harmony with people cutting across social barriers gathering to celebrate Chhath in villages and towns.
The festival concludes Sunday with devotees worshipping the rising sun. Chhath is celebrated six days after Diwali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM