Min directs AI to withdraw travel benefit to pilot
New Delhi:With reports of pilots misusing the benefit to travel as an additional crew member during leave, Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh has directed Air India management to withdraw the facility with immediate effect.
"Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh has directed Air India to withdraw with immediate effect the facility available to pilots to travel as an additional crew member during time off or leave.
"Henceforth no such facility to pilots to travel as an additional crew member in Air India shall be available during time off or leave," a statement from the Ministry said.
The direction came following a complaint received by the Minister that Air India`s Captain S P S Suri was given authorisation by the management to fly on Delhi-Dubai sector as additional crew member earlier this month.
Suri, who was commander of the Delhi-Shanghai flight, was grounded by the airline management last month after he failed to report an incident of turbulence faced while operating the flight with an Airbus 330 aircraft.
Three people were injured in that incident.
"The DGCA has also been asked to enquire into this matter and submit a report to the Minister," the statement said.
According to the Ministry release, it was also noticed that the facility available to pilots to travel as additional crew member was being misused by the pilots to travel free of cost during time off or leave.
"A large number of such travels have been authorised in the past by the General Managers. As additional crew member, a pilot despite being on time off or leave enjoyed all facilities of a pilot on duty as regards to check-in and other things," the statement said.
The decision, according to a senior official, would lead to another unrest among the pilots.
"These facilities are being provided to pilots of all the airlines, this is a common practice. It should not have been done in this manner, instead of withdrawing the facility for all, the Minister should have directed the management to withdraw the facility for those against whom any probe is pending," the official said on the condition of anonymity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow