Mines Act referred to GoM amid differences
New Delhi: A clause in the Mining Act to make certain top officials of a mine responsible in case of an accident on Thursday divided the Union Cabinet, prompting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to refer the matter to a Group of Ministers.
The measure proposed in the official amendments to the Mines Act, 1952 provides for heavy fines and long term imprisonment of managers of the mines for violation of safety norms.
Sources said members of the Cabinet had divergent views on making the Chief Executive or the Chairman responsible for mishaps as proposed in the Labour Ministry`s bill.
Members felt the issue should be left to the board to decide on whom to nominate for liability in case of an accident.
Some members said top officials could not be liable as any probe will itself fix "willful negligence".
The sources said there was an animated discussion on some provisions in the Parliament (Prevention of Disqualification) Act, 1959. However, Law Minister Ashwani Kumar was assertive when some ministers wanted to raise doubts over certain issues.
Kumar`s assertiveness is significant as he is under attack over vetting of CBI report on coal block allocation scam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read