Minimum comes down in Delhi; shower brings relief in UP
New Delhi: Parts of north India, which is in the grip of a heat wave, Friday enjoyed slight relief due to a marginal slide in the mercury with some areas also reporting a little rainfall.
However, the respite from the heat was shortlived for the people of Punjab and Haryana as maximum temperatures in the two neighbouring states were again on their way up today.
In Delhi, the minimum today dropped three notches to settle at 24.8 degrees Celsius as the city experienced some relief from the blistering weather.
The maximum in the national capital was 40.6 degrees with the MeT office saying humidity in air was between 19 and 66 percent.
The weatherman has predicted clear skies tomorrow which may turn partially cloudy in the latter part of the day.
Parts of Uttar Pradesh received light to moderate rainfall and thundershowers in the last 24 hours, bringing cheer to the people.
MeT office sources said that highest rainfall in the state was 3-cm measured at Bareilly.
Day temperatures fell appreciably in Meerut, Gorakhpur, Varanasi and Bareilly divisions even as Etawah continued to be the hottest place in the state with a temperature of 45.6 degrees.
There is a chance of rain or thundershowers at isolated places in eastern UP in the coming 24 hours, the MeT office added.
But Punjab and Haryana were back to feeling the heat a day after a marginal drop in the mercury brought about a welcome change in weather.
In Punjab, Amritsar sizzled at 44 degrees Celsius, up four degrees above normal while Ludhiana and Patiala recorded highs of 42.6 and 42.2 degrees, respectively, the MeT office said.
Hisar in Haryana sweat it out at 43.6 degrees, up two degrees from the normal, while Ambala (40.7 degrees), Bhiwani (42.2) and Karnal (39.8), too, grappled with the merciless heat.
Union territory of Chandigarh recorded a maximum of 40.3 degrees, one notch above normal.
The local MeT office in Rajasthan has predicted some rainfall tomorrow in the south-western parts of the state where Bikaner, Churu and Jaisalmer today recorded highs of an identical, and sweltering, 45.2 degrees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'