Mining deal: BJP rejects allegation against Gadkari
New Delhi: The BJP on Tuesday said it "differed"
from the conclusions arrived at by the CAG in the Chhattisgarh
mining case involving its MP Ajay Sancheti and refuted
Congress charges that party president Nitin Gadkari benefited
from the alleged financial wrongdoings in the deal.
The CAG report has stated that Sancheti`s firm SMS
Infrastructure was favoured in terms of cost for the
exploration contract given to it for Bhadgaon II Extension
coal block. Congress has alleged that the BJP government in
Chhattisgarh favoured Sancheti and his "business partner"
Gadkari in this deal.
"We will not engage in the kind of campaign that the
Congress is involved in. These allegations are baseless. We
understand the worries of the Congress. They are involved in
so many scams. But they should also learn a little about how
to read and write," BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
He also maintained that the BJP differs from the
conclusions drawn by the CAG in this matter.
"Bhadgaon II Extension is an open cast mine where
mining costs less. It is a part open and part underground
mine. It is also near a river and so a wall has to be built to
work as a dam to keep out the water," Prasad said.
Asked if Sancheti and Gadkari were business partners,
he replied in the negative. He hastened to add that a leader
from any party can also be a businessman provided his dealings
"Neither was Gadkari president then (in 2008 when the
tender was alloted) nor was Sancheti an MP. Gadkari was BJP
Maharashtra unit president. He became BJP President one and a
half years later in 2010," Prasad said.
Sancheti became a BJP Rajya Sabha MP last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez