Mining: Sustainable Development Framework needed
Panaji: Union Mines minister Dinsha Patel on Thursday emphasised on evolving a Sustainable Development Framework (SDF) within which all mineral development
activities are carried out integrating economic, social and environmental components.
"One of the greatest challenges facing the mining sector today is integrating economic activity with environment integrity, social concerns and effective governance systems," Patel said during the two-day conference on Sustainable Mining Practices organised by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) at Majorda village, 40 Kms from here.
"The goal of this integration can be seen as more sustainable development," he added.
Patel, who could not be personally present for the conference due to ongoing Parliamentary session, in his written speech, which was read at the event, said that there is a requirement of robust framework based on an agreed set of broad principles.
The minister said there should be an understanding of the key challenges facing the sector at different levels and in different regions and the action needed to meet or overcome them.
"In this context, it is necessary to evolve a sustainable development framework within which all mineral development activities are carried out integrating economic, social and environmental components," he said.
Patel said that for implementation of SDF, the ministry had appointed M/s ERM India Private Limited as the consultant for preparing the draft Sustainable Framework Development Document.
"The consultant has prepared the draft report and suggested a framework for sustainable development in Indian mineral sector," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued