Minister prevented from replying in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Minister of State for External
Affairs E Ahammed was on Thursday prevented from replying to a
debate in Lok Sabha on Tamils in Sri Lanka with members saying
that only the Cabinet Minister concerned should do so.
TR Baalu (DMK) who raised the discussion in the lower
House objected when the Ahammed started replying on the issue
and said, "The concerned minister (S M Krishna) should reply."
Pacifying Baalu and other members from Tamil Nadu who also
objected to reply by a junior minister, Minister of State in
PMO V Narayanasamy said, "Since the minister is replying in
Rajya Sabha, he is not replying in this House."
But the DMK and AIADMK members did not agree to the
submission by the minister. "We are not concerned with that.
We will wait for his (Krishna`s) reply," Baalu said.
Rising in support of Baalu, M Thambidurai (AIADMK) said,
"This is an international issue and a deputy minister cannot
reply in the House. The Cabinet Minister (Krishna) should
Inder Singh Namdhari who was in Chair, said, "As per
rules, a cabinet minister or deputy minister or Parliamentary
Affairs Minister is competent to reply to such discussions."
But members from Tamil Nadu did not buy the argument and
insisted on reply from the External Affairs Minister.
Namdhari observed, "Since the minister (Krishna) is
replying in other House, he will reply to the debate here
Ahammed, however, said he was competent to reply, but if
members did not want to listen to him, he would not speak.
Those who participated in the debate included Adhir Ranjan
Chowdhury (Cong), Nripendra Nath Roy (AIFB), Tarun Mandal
(IND) and Prasanta Kumar Majumdar (RSP).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark