Ministerial team to visit Indo-Myanmar border
Imphal: A ministerial team will `soon` visit Indo-Myanmar border to study the undemarcated areas in Chandel district, Manipur Home Minister Gaikhangam said.
"A cabinet team will soon make an enquiry on whether the proposed erection of border fencing near border pillar 76 would bifurcate several border villages of Manipur in Chandel district," Gakhangam who is also Deputy Chief Minister said while attending a public function here yesterday.
He said the proposed fencing work was initiated by the governments of the two countries and all efforts would be made to protect the territories of the tiny border state.
Official sources said there was `no incursion or intrusion` of Myanmar Army or officials into villages near the border although attempts had been made by the latter to set up a base camp near border village of Holenphai, near border pillar 78, about a week ago.
Sources said the state government on different occasions had urged the Centre to initiate steps for re-survey of undemarcated border areas around border pillar 76 by authorities of the two countries, adding that some activities by Myanmar army and officials were going on in Myanmar side near this border pillar.
All major political parties and several organisations including United Committee Manipur (UCM) whose representatives had visited the controversial border areas have urged the Centre to immediately conduct re-survey of the borderline with Myanmar authorities.
They had said if the proposed fencing was erected more than 45 villages would fall within the territory of Myanmar.
Official sources said a high-powered team led by state principal secretary of home Suresh Babu had on August 26 visited the border areas near border town of Moreh to make an on the spot study of the undemarcated border areas in the wake of Myanmar`s attempt to erect border fencing.
The ministerial team would visit the areas after getting the report of the committee, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!