Ministers Ambika Soni, Anand Sharma take oath as RS members
New Delhi: Union Ministers Ambika Soni and Anand Sharma were among the 52 members who took oath on Monday in Rajya Sabha on the first day of the Monsoon session of Parliament.
Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan, Samajwadi Party spokesperson Mohan Singh and industrialist Vijay Mallya, were among those took oath as members of the Upper House.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni and Commerce and Industries Minister Anand Sharma, along with BJP leaders M Venkaiah Naidu, Rajiv Pratap Rudy, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, BSP leader Satish Chandra Mishra and noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani have been the re-elected.
Veteran Congress leaders like V Hanumantha Rao, Mohsina Kidwai, N Janaradhana Reddy and Satish Sharma have also been re-elected.
Environment and Forests Minister Jairam Ramesh, however, was not present in the House to take oath. Nand Kumar Sai of BJP was also not present when their names were called.
Rudy, who had once taken oath in Bhojpuri, was asked to take oath again, as the dialect is not included in the 8th Schedule of the Constitution. The former Civil Aviation
Minister ultimately took oath in Hindi.
Newly elected BJP member from Rajasthan VP Singh, before taking oath, requested Chairman Hamid Ansari to include Rajasthani in the 8th Schedule of the Constitution.
Singh, as also Anil Madhav Dave and Tarun Vijay (both BJP), took oath in Sanskrit.
Congress member Vijay Darda wore a kurta with Mahatma Gandhi`s sketch inscribed on the back and "Satyamev Jayate" printed on the front.
A maximum of 12 members took oath from Uttar Pradesh, followed by six from Maharashtra, five each from Andhra Pradesh, Bihar and Rajasthan, four from Tamil Nadu, three each from Karnataka, Orissa and Madhya Pradesh, two each from Jharkhand and Punjab, and one each from Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'