Ministers Ambika Soni, Anand Sharma take oath as RS members
New Delhi: Union Ministers Ambika Soni and Anand Sharma were among the 52 members who took oath on Monday in Rajya Sabha on the first day of the Monsoon session of Parliament.
Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan, Samajwadi Party spokesperson Mohan Singh and industrialist Vijay Mallya, were among those took oath as members of the Upper House.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni and Commerce and Industries Minister Anand Sharma, along with BJP leaders M Venkaiah Naidu, Rajiv Pratap Rudy, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, BSP leader Satish Chandra Mishra and noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani have been the re-elected.
Veteran Congress leaders like V Hanumantha Rao, Mohsina Kidwai, N Janaradhana Reddy and Satish Sharma have also been re-elected.
Environment and Forests Minister Jairam Ramesh, however, was not present in the House to take oath. Nand Kumar Sai of BJP was also not present when their names were called.
Rudy, who had once taken oath in Bhojpuri, was asked to take oath again, as the dialect is not included in the 8th Schedule of the Constitution. The former Civil Aviation
Minister ultimately took oath in Hindi.
Newly elected BJP member from Rajasthan VP Singh, before taking oath, requested Chairman Hamid Ansari to include Rajasthani in the 8th Schedule of the Constitution.
Singh, as also Anil Madhav Dave and Tarun Vijay (both BJP), took oath in Sanskrit.
Congress member Vijay Darda wore a kurta with Mahatma Gandhi`s sketch inscribed on the back and "Satyamev Jayate" printed on the front.
A maximum of 12 members took oath from Uttar Pradesh, followed by six from Maharashtra, five each from Andhra Pradesh, Bihar and Rajasthan, four from Tamil Nadu, three each from Karnataka, Orissa and Madhya Pradesh, two each from Jharkhand and Punjab, and one each from Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir