‘Minister`s meeting with Verma`s wife routine’
New Delhi: The government has information that wife of businessman Abhishek Verma -- Anca Neacsu -- had met senior officials including Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju last year.
The information was sent recently by Verma`s former business associate C Edmond Allen, who has been sending letters to the Defence Ministry and the CBI.
In his letter, Allen has said that Anca, who is the India head of Swiss rifle company Sig Sauer, had met Pallam Raju, Secretary (Defence Production) Shekhar Aggarwal and Director General (Acquisition) Vivek Rae in their Defence Ministry offices on December 7 last year.
Ministry sources confirmed that these meetings had taken place but said it was a common practice for the Ministers and the senior bureaucrats to meet the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) to get a feel of the issues faced by the industry.
They said the appointments for these meetings were sought in the name of Sig Sauer`s global head Micheal Lukes and Anca was part of the delegation headed by him.
The company in its request letter for appointment had also expressed its desire to collaborate with India in field of defence.
Sig Sauer had also participated in the tender to supply assault rifles to the India but the company was eliminated in the initial stages itself, the sources said.
Both Verma and his wife are in judicial custody in connection with a CBI case for taking money from blacklisted German defence firm Rheinmetall Air Defence (RAD) to get them out of the list of barred companies.
In his letter, Allen has also raised questions about the relations of some former Defence Ministry Joint Secretaries with Verma and his associates.
Recently, Verma had moved a Delhi court with a complaint against his former partner Allen accusing him of cheating him of Rs 55 crore and forging documents and emails to defame him.
Verma is also an accused in the Naval War Room leak case in which commercial naval secrets were leaked to foreign companies. Ravi Shankaran, kin of former naval chief Arun Prakash, is also an accused in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'