‘Minister`s meeting with Verma`s wife routine’
New Delhi: The government has information that wife of businessman Abhishek Verma -- Anca Neacsu -- had met senior officials including Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju last year.
The information was sent recently by Verma`s former business associate C Edmond Allen, who has been sending letters to the Defence Ministry and the CBI.
In his letter, Allen has said that Anca, who is the India head of Swiss rifle company Sig Sauer, had met Pallam Raju, Secretary (Defence Production) Shekhar Aggarwal and Director General (Acquisition) Vivek Rae in their Defence Ministry offices on December 7 last year.
Ministry sources confirmed that these meetings had taken place but said it was a common practice for the Ministers and the senior bureaucrats to meet the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) to get a feel of the issues faced by the industry.
They said the appointments for these meetings were sought in the name of Sig Sauer`s global head Micheal Lukes and Anca was part of the delegation headed by him.
The company in its request letter for appointment had also expressed its desire to collaborate with India in field of defence.
Sig Sauer had also participated in the tender to supply assault rifles to the India but the company was eliminated in the initial stages itself, the sources said.
Both Verma and his wife are in judicial custody in connection with a CBI case for taking money from blacklisted German defence firm Rheinmetall Air Defence (RAD) to get them out of the list of barred companies.
In his letter, Allen has also raised questions about the relations of some former Defence Ministry Joint Secretaries with Verma and his associates.
Recently, Verma had moved a Delhi court with a complaint against his former partner Allen accusing him of cheating him of Rs 55 crore and forging documents and emails to defame him.
Verma is also an accused in the Naval War Room leak case in which commercial naval secrets were leaked to foreign companies. Ravi Shankaran, kin of former naval chief Arun Prakash, is also an accused in this case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list