Ministries asked to keep PMO out of court cases
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of various litigants making the Prime Minister`s Office and the Cabinet Secretariat parties in court cases, all ministries have been asked to ensure that top institutions do not get embroiled in cases not related to them.
In a recent circular, the Cabinet Secretariat has told all ministries that if they find that either the PMO or the Cabinet Secretariat have been made parties in a court case relating to their department, they should immediately implead themselves as respondents and try to get the names of the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister and the Cabinet secretariat removed as respondents.
The circular said while judicial relief sought on grievances is usually granted, non-compliance results in contempt petitions impleading the Principal Secretary to PM and Cabinet Secretariat.
It said ministries would henceforth handle representations or petitions sent to PMO or Cabinet Secretariat regarding their subject, take prompt action and ask the applicants to address future correspondence to them so that the top institutions are not unnecessarily dragged to courts.
"The matter has been examined...The primary responsibility for the disposal of government business rests with ministries and departments concerned in terms of the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1977; except to the extent the business is specifically allocated to the Cabinet Secretariat or PMO," states the circular.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack