Ministry awaiting UP govt`s report on Salman Khurshid’s NGO
New Delhi: Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry is awaiting the report from Uttar Pradesh government before taking any action in the alleged misappropriation of finances by an NGO run by Law Minister Salman Khurshid and his wife Louise.
"Uttar Pradesh government has ordered a probe and its Economic Offences Wing has started collecting documents. We will wait for its report before taking any action regarding misappropriation of funds by this Trust," a Ministry source told a news agency here.
Noting that the state government had been giving its recommendations for the Trust since 2003-04, the source said, "The matter has to be first investigated by state government. The SJ&E Ministry gives funds to these NGOs on basis of the state government recommendations only."
Social Justice Minister Mukul Wasnik today said the Trust had submitted its report to the Ministry last year.
"When the test check reports were submitted by Zakir Hussain Trust to the Ministry, it was my Ministry which had thought that these reports should come from the state government. Rightly they should go to the state government for confirmation," he said, adding that the report had come in March 2011.
Ministry sources said Louise - as project director of the Trust - had met Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on September 17, requesting him to look into any possible case of forgery and misappropriation of funds in the Trust.
"She also wrote to the SJ&E Ministry informing it about her meeting with the state chief ministry. The report from the Uttar Pradesh government is awaited and the Ministry will take appropriate action on its basis only," one of the sources said.
Yesterday, Khurshid had produced documents to rubbish charges of misappropriation of funds by the trust and expressed willingness for any probe in the matter.
He also produced people associated with the camps to prove that these were duly organised and several disabled persons were distributed aids and appliances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof