Ministry does not know number of panchayats
New Delhi: In what may come as a surprise, the Ministry of Panchayati Raj itself does not know how many district panchayats are there in the country, according to a Parliamentary panel report.
"It is quite surprising to find that Ministry of Panchayati Raj does not have any information on the exact number of district panchayats in the country as on date," the Standing Committee on Rural Development said in its report on the Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
The report of the Committee headed by BJP MP Sumitra Mahajan was tabled in Lok Sabha yesterday.
The committee observed that Panchayati Raj Ministry informed it that there are 608 districts across the country while the information provided by the Rural Development Ministry said that there are 619 "rural districts" in the country as on April 1, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees