Ministry does not know number of panchayats
New Delhi: In what may come as a surprise, the Ministry of Panchayati Raj itself does not know how many district panchayats are there in the country, according to a Parliamentary panel report.
"It is quite surprising to find that Ministry of Panchayati Raj does not have any information on the exact number of district panchayats in the country as on date," the Standing Committee on Rural Development said in its report on the Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
The report of the Committee headed by BJP MP Sumitra Mahajan was tabled in Lok Sabha yesterday.
The committee observed that Panchayati Raj Ministry informed it that there are 608 districts across the country while the information provided by the Rural Development Ministry said that there are 619 "rural districts" in the country as on April 1, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday