Ministry does not know number of panchayats
New Delhi: In what may come as a surprise, the Ministry of Panchayati Raj itself does not know how many district panchayats are there in the country, according to a Parliamentary panel report.
"It is quite surprising to find that Ministry of Panchayati Raj does not have any information on the exact number of district panchayats in the country as on date," the Standing Committee on Rural Development said in its report on the Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
The report of the Committee headed by BJP MP Sumitra Mahajan was tabled in Lok Sabha yesterday.
The committee observed that Panchayati Raj Ministry informed it that there are 608 districts across the country while the information provided by the Rural Development Ministry said that there are 619 "rural districts" in the country as on April 1, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP