Minor accuses Asaram Bapu of sexual assault, case registered
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
New Delhi: A case of sexual assault has been registered against self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, the Delhi Police said on Wednesday.
The case was registered by the Delhi Police, after a teenage girl alleged that she was sexually assaulted by Asaram Bapu in his Ashram in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
According to police, the minor submitted a written complaint against Asaram Bapu at Kamala Market police station in central Delhi Tuesday evening.
"We registered the complaint, but the girl said the incident occurred in Rajasthan, so the case will be forwarded to Rajasthan," a police officer told a news agency.
The self-styled godman had courted controversies in the past too. The godman courted controversy for saying that the victim of the December 16 gang-rape case was equally responsible for the crime and suggested the girl should have addressed bus driver Ram Singh and other assailants as `brothers` and begged them to stop.
In March this year, Asaram was criticised for allegedly wasting tones of water when Maharashtra was facing worst-ever drought in over four decades.
Asaram and his son Narayan Sai were in the public eye after the mysterious deaths of two boys, Dipesh Vaghela (10) and Abhishek Vaghela (11), whose decomposed bodies were found from the banks of Sabarmati River near Asaram Bapu`s ashram in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon