Minor cannot be put in lock up: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday directed the Uttar Pradesh government to file response within a week on detention of a 10-year-old rape victim by police in Bulandshahr, when she approached them to lodge a complaint.
"A minor cannot be put in lock up," a bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir said while expressing its displeasure over the incident.
The bench also asked advocate Anita Shenoy to assist it in deciding the matter in which it took suo motu cognisance of media reports about detention of the girl.
The incident allegedly took place on April 7 when the girl had gone to a general store close to her house to buy some essentials. She was reportedly taken away by the accused, who raped her and fled.
When the victim and her parents went to the police station for filing a complaint, the girl was kept in the lock-up of the Mahila Thana for several hours.
After the incident came to light, two women constables on duty at that time were suspended while the Mahila Thana in-charge Gayashree Chauhan and sub-inspector Sarita Dwivedi, who were first sent to the Reserve Police Lines, were later removed.
Bulandshahr police yesterday claimed to have arrested the accused who had allegedly raped the minor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery