Minority Affairs Ministry fails to utilise bud allocation
New Delhi: Expressing unhappiness over the non-expenditure of Rs 559 crore out of the total budgetary allocation of Minority Affairs Ministry, a Parliamentary panel today said a mechanism should be devised in consultation with Planning Commission to make erring states accountable.
Dissatisfied with the ministry`s action taken reply on the matter, the Standing Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment chaired by Congress MP Hemanand Biswal said the government should take up the matter at appropriate level so that the schemes of welfare for minorities do not suffer due to "inaction of some states".
A sum of Rs 559.28 could not be utilised out of total budgetary allocation of Rs 2,866 core for MoMA for the year 2010-11 and hence the panel had recommended earlier that the ministry should analyse the implementation of various schemes so as to ensure 100 percent utilisation of the increased budgetary allocation of Rs 313 crore for it in 2012-2013.
The report was tabled in Lok Sabha today.
In its action taken reply, the ministry responded by saying that it has enumerated various steps including giving publicity to states and persuading states to speed up their implementation. The Committee, however, found that these steps are of "routine nature" and won`t work.
The panel also reiterated its earlier recommendation that the government should examine the possibility of relaxing the election norms in favour of deprived girl students under the Merit-cum-Means Scholarship scheme.
The committee had earlier noted with dismay that states and Union Territories like Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Assam, Jharkhand, Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir and Chandigarh were not able to award 30 per cent scholarships to girl students as envisaged in the scheme.
It also expressed concern over the "inordinate delay" in implementation of the Scheme for Leadership Development of Minority Women launched in January, 2010.
Maintaining that the panel was "deeply anguished" that a scheme, which could have played a major role in empowering minority women could not see the light of the day, it said the ministry should take expeditious action for execution of the scheme in a time bound manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow