‘Mins abandoning cabinet like rat on sinking ship’
New Delhi: Hoping that Parliament`s Monsoon
session will be the "best session" for Opposition to corner
the UPA, CPI General Secretary A B Bardhan on Saturday said some
"wise" ministers are abandoning the cabinet like "rats out of
sinking ships" before investigators reach their doorsteps.
He claimed that the Congress was on the decline and
people have lost faith in the UPA which speaks regularly about
tackling corruption and price rise but do nothing except for
getting ministers under fire resign from the cabinet.
Noting that minister after minister were coming under
the scanner of investigating agencies in corruption cases, he
said, "How many speeches have (Prime Minister) Manmohan Singh
and (Congress chief) Sonia Gandhi made against corruption but
the next day one minister resigns."
"Who is next? In my view it is Murli Deora. After the
allegations raised against him, what is the propriety in his
continuing. He has to go," he told reporters at an interaction
organised by the Indian Women Press Corp.
Bardhan`s remarks came in the backdrop of Deora`s offer
to resign ahead of the cabinet reshuffle. However, a section
alleges that he offered his resignation so as to preempt
investigations into allegations about oil pricing in KGB basin
pointed out in a draft CAG report.
"There are some ministers who are abandoning the ship
like the rats do when the ship is about to sink...They are
wise people. It is like taking anticipatory bail because some
of them know that investigations have come close to them and
now they are under close watch," he said.
Emphasising that this concerned not only Dayanidhi
Maran but also Deora, he said no one knows who is the next in
line as minister after minister were coming under the scanner
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range