‘Mirage planes upgrade at Rs 167 cr per aircraft in 2011’
New Delhi: India bought Mirage-2000 warplanes for Rs 133 crore each in year 2000, while the cost of upgrading the aircraft came to Rs 167 crore per unit in 2011, Defence Minister A K Antony said Monday.
In a written reply in Lok Sabha, he said, "The last contracted price for each Mirage-2000 aircraft in the year 2000 was Rs 133 crore. The contract for upgrade was signed in 2011 wherein the cost of upgrading one aircraft was Rs 167 crore."
Antony said, "Applying an escalation of 3.5 per cent per annum as per the Pricing Policy Review Committee, to the contacted cost of the year 2000, it works out to be Rs 195 crore at 2011 levels. Thus, the upgrade has been undertaken at 85 per cent of the escalated cost of the aircraft."
The upgrade program also includes fitments of advanced multimode-multi target radar, reconfigured glass cockpit and advanced avionics, state-of-the-art electronic warfare system and capability to launch advance missiles, the Minister said.
To a separate question on deployment of Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS), he said these are force multipliers for specific area cover and not for surveillance of the entire air space.
"Three AWACS aircraft are presently operationalised in the IAF. AWACS are meant as force multipliers for specific area cover and not for surveillance of the entire space of our country," he said.
All three AWACS are part of Network Centric Operations and are able to provide adequate coverage of specified areas in such perations, Antony said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof