Mirchi being quizzed in UK; extradition process initiated
London/New Delhi: Iqbal Memon alias `Iqbal Mirchi`, who is wanted in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts was being questioned on Wednesday by Scotland Yard, even as India said the process involving extradition of underworld don Dawood
Ibrahim`s right hand man was being initiated.
A close aide of Dawood, 61-year-old Memon is wanted by
Mumbai police in connection with cases related to drug
peddling and 1993 Mumbai serial blasts.
He was arrested yesterday in Romford, Essex.
Scotland Yard said the Havering community safety unit had
arrested a man in Essex yesterday investigating a domestic row
after an allegation of "threats to kill" involving members of
his family was reported to police on Sunday.
Mirchi was being questioned in the east London police
In New Delhi, an official spokesperson in the Ministry of
External Affairs said the extradition process was being
initiated for him.
"A Red Corner notice for the arrest of Memon had been
issued and continues to be valid, which means that he is a
wanted person and that we do seek his extradition back to
India. The processes involved for his extradition are being
initiated," the spokesperson said.
Menon, who in the past has denied being involved in
organised crime or terrorism, was arrested by Scotland Yard in
1995 on drugs and terrorism charges in connection with a
series of bomb blasts in Mumbai in 1993.
The charges were later replaced by one relating to the
murder of a former Mirchi employee, who was shot dead in
India. But an extradition request was refused by magistrates
who ruled there was no case to answer.
According to Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI),
Mirchi, against whom an Interpol Red Corner Notice is pending
since 1994 was reportedly living in a six-bedroom house in
Hornchurch for the last 20 years.
A UN report has identified Mirchi as a senior figure in
the "D" company, a worldwide organised crime syndicate with
wealth and power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH