Mirwaiz booked for violence on Eid
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Police today
registered three cases against Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, chairman
of Hurriyat`s moderate faction, and other separatist leaders
for allegedly inciting yesterday`s violence during which
government properties were torched by mobs.
An FIR was registered against the Mirwaiz at
Shaheedgunj police station in Srinagar city under various
sections of Ranbir Penal Code (RPC), including for criminal
conspiracy (120-B), waging war against the state (121) and
wantonly giving provocation to cause riots (153), the sources
Participants of a protest rally called by the Mirwaiz
at Lal Chowk yesterday had torched three government offices,
including the Crime Branch and Power Development Department
Another case has been registered against the moderate
Hurriyat chairman and four others at Safakadal police station
in the old city.
Senior hardline Hurriyat leader Nissar Hussain Rather
has also been booked for making a provocative speech at clock
tower in Lal Chowk area yesterday. The case was registered in
Police station Maisuma.
However, none of the separatist leaders named in the
FIRs have been arrested so far.
"It is the discretion of investigating officer to
arrest the accused," Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, S M
The Mirwaiz dubbed the registration of cases as an
expression of "total frustration".
However, the ruling National Conference said that the
Hurriyat leader cannot wash his hands off and will have to
explain for yesterday`s violence.
"It is only in Idgah he decided to have a march
towards Lal Chowk and he was allowed to do it. But, if he
doesn`t condemn the violence which took place, the arson and
the loot, I leave it to his wisdom," NC leader Mehboob Baig
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Aashif Sheikh turns ragpicker on 'Bhabi Ji Ghar Par Hai'
- WATCH: BRILLIANT! This airline's touching gesture on Dipa Karmakar's arrival in Agartala
- Happy to be working during pregnancy: Kareena Kapoor Khan
- Pfizer says acquiring biotech firm Medivation for $14 billion
- Asian Filmmaker award posthumously for Abbas Kiarostami at Busan