Mirwaiz booked for violence on Eid
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Police today
registered three cases against Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, chairman
of Hurriyat`s moderate faction, and other separatist leaders
for allegedly inciting yesterday`s violence during which
government properties were torched by mobs.
An FIR was registered against the Mirwaiz at
Shaheedgunj police station in Srinagar city under various
sections of Ranbir Penal Code (RPC), including for criminal
conspiracy (120-B), waging war against the state (121) and
wantonly giving provocation to cause riots (153), the sources
Participants of a protest rally called by the Mirwaiz
at Lal Chowk yesterday had torched three government offices,
including the Crime Branch and Power Development Department
Another case has been registered against the moderate
Hurriyat chairman and four others at Safakadal police station
in the old city.
Senior hardline Hurriyat leader Nissar Hussain Rather
has also been booked for making a provocative speech at clock
tower in Lal Chowk area yesterday. The case was registered in
Police station Maisuma.
However, none of the separatist leaders named in the
FIRs have been arrested so far.
"It is the discretion of investigating officer to
arrest the accused," Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, S M
The Mirwaiz dubbed the registration of cases as an
expression of "total frustration".
However, the ruling National Conference said that the
Hurriyat leader cannot wash his hands off and will have to
explain for yesterday`s violence.
"It is only in Idgah he decided to have a march
towards Lal Chowk and he was allowed to do it. But, if he
doesn`t condemn the violence which took place, the arson and
the loot, I leave it to his wisdom," NC leader Mehboob Baig
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam