Misconception over foreign trips: Prez Patil
New Delhi: Facing criticism over her foreign visits, President Pratibha Patil on Sunday said there has been a "misconception" and wanted people to ascertain the factual position.
"Right now, there has been a misconception so far as the visits of the President are concerned...The President does not go at his/her own will. The Government gives a suggestion on the places the President should visit," Patil said in an interview to a TV channel.
She said the people of the country should respect the President`s post and ascertain the factual position before raising questions.
"This post of President is a Constitutional post. It is the duty of everyone, all citizens to see that they respect the post... The institution of President," she said.
On the criticism faced over guests and relatives accompanying her during foreign tours, Patil said, "This has been the international practice and in previous occasions also in the past guests and relatives have accompanied the President. So it is not that I have set a precedent."
She said the foreign visits of the President are "serious business" and beneficial in building the country`s image and has helped in resolving many issues with nations. "These visits have been in the context of the growing profile of India at the international level," she said.
"India seeks to be a permanent member of the UN Security Council...Things like this don’t happen automatically, you need constant dialogue and discussion with the world," she said.
Asked about the recent Army Chief controversy, she said Government has taken action on corruption charges. "I think that matter is settled. We should not carry it forward any more".
On the Women`s Reservation Bill, she said, "You see of course it will empower women but it is a decision which the political parties have to take...I think it would be good if there is a consensus is reached and some decision is to take about it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Karan Singh Grover had a great time at 'The Kapil Sharma Show', wants to visit again!
- Delhi L-G Najeeb Jung refuses AAP govt’s proposed app-based premium bus service scheme
- Final phase of Q4 results, progress of monsoon to guide market
- Attention tax evaders: From June 1, declare black money and come clean or else....
- Saqib Saleem all praises for Radhika Apte's 'knockout performance' in 'Phobia'!