Missing coal files: Last day for PM to explain, says BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Tuesday said it will raise the issue of missing files pertaining to the controversial coal block allocations in both Houses of Parliament and demand an explanation from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh before he leaves for the G20 summit.
"The government is trying to cover-up the issue of missing files relating to coal block allocations. This is a very serious issue. Parliament session is on and the government has failed to take the House into confidence. Before leaving for G20 summit, Prime Minister must explain where `I-120` went missing," BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu told reporters after a meeting of the BJP Parliamentary Party.
I-120, he said, stands for India`s Rs 120 crore that was allegedly siphoned off in the scam.
Singh is leaving for the G20 summit on Wednesday morning.
The BJP will raise the issue in both Houses of Parliament and is likely to force adjournments.
"The Prime Minister must explain who all are involved, what action has been taken, who all have been held accountable, why no FIR has been lodged in the case despite the Supreme Court telling the CBI to do so," Naidu said.
He pointed out that Law Minister Ashwani Kumar had to resign for making changes in the status report of the CBI on the coal block allocations. Senior officials were also involved in the process, he alleged.
"This government cannot go scot free in the coal scam. It should explain what action has been taken till now on the missing files," he said.
While Coal Minister Sri Prakash Jaiswal has now claimed that only seven files are missing, the CBI has said 157 files related to the allocations are untraceable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation